Established in December 4, 2012, the Lebanese Petroleum Administration (LPA) is a regulatory body in charge of managing the petroleum sector in Lebanon. The principal objective of the Lebanese Petroleum Administration is to contribute to creating the greatest possible value for the economy and society resulting from the activities undertaken in the oil and gas industry while protecting the environment.
This is performed through prudent resource management and thorough strategic, economic, technical, geological, environmental and financial plans, programmes and activities conducted in cooperation with other governmental bodies, international organizations, academia and civil society.
The LPA exerts all the necessary efforts to ensure a successful, transparent and sustainable development process in all stages of petroleum activities, prompting continuous interest into Lebanon’s hydrocarbon potential.
The Petroleum Administration is responsible to:
- Prepare studies promoting the potential petroleum resources in Lebanon.
- Report to the Minister of Energy and Water on the evaluation results of the qualifications and capabilities of bidders seeking to obtain petroleum rights.
- Prepare the invitations to bid, the specifications, the relevant permits and the agreements related to the Offshore Petroleum Law.
- Support the Minister of Energy and Water in the negotiation of the terms of the exploration and production agreements with the companies and present result reports to the Minister of Energy and Water to support in final decision making at the Council of Ministers.
- Manage, follow up, supervise, and monitor all petroleum activities, ensure proper implementation of the licenses and agreements, and report the results regularly through quarterly reports for approval by the Minister of Energy and Water.
- Evaluate plans for field development, petroleum transportation, decommissioning, and removal of facilities.
- Manage the data associated with the petroleum activities.
- Handle and manage the petroleum register.
The Petroleum Administration consists of Six (6) technical departments, namely:
- Strategic Planning Department
- Technical and Engineering Department
- Geology and Geophysics Department
- Legal Affairs Department
- Economic and Financial Department
- Quality, Health, Safety and Environment Department
© 2017. Lebanese Petroleum Administration. All Rights Reserved.